As we age, it’s always a good idea to revisit our styles and beauty routines to see if they are still working for us. Much as you wouldn’t dress the same way at 45 as you did at 25, you should also take another look at your hair care routine. Aging hair has its own unique challenges and the products you were using 10 or 20 years ago may not be serving you well anymore.
The challenges of hair styling as we age
Dealing with aging hair is more than just occasionally dying those gray roots. Below we address some of the most common issues that come along with hair styling as we get older and hacks to keep your tresses healthy and lustrous.
- Hair health needs to be addressed from the inside out. This is particularly true as we age. Be sure to hydrate yourself properly, as dehydration will show in your skin and hair. Avoid consuming too much caffeine and alcohol, and consider adding to your routine a mineral supplement like Phyto Phytophanere that is specifically formulated to support healthy skin, nails and hair.
- Aging hair often turns to thinning hair. This can be addressed starting with the health of your scalp. Nioxin makes product lines to address all types and severities of thinning hair. Their product formulations revolve around clearing and invigorating the scalp for growing healthier, thicker hair.
- If your hair has gotten really thin and your scalp is visible, consider trying keratin fibers like the ones made by XFusion. They bind to your own natural hair and stay put in all types of weather until you wash them out. They will instantly make your hair appear more full.
- Hair often becomes dry and brittle as we age. Add to that the damage of chemical treatments, dying, bleaching, styling and environmental damage, and our hair can look a mess! Hair of any age, but particularly older hair can benefit greatly from a weekly deep conditioning treatment like Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture Hair Masque . Their unique Enzymetherapy helps the ingredients penetrate more deeply into your hair for soft, effective results.
- If you’re embracing your grays, keep an eye on any dullness or unwanted warmth and brassiness by switching to a shampoo formulated for white hair like L’ANZA Silver Brightening Shampoo . It contains natural toning agents derived from viola and lavender flowers that will bring back your silver sparkle!
- Protect and repair against heat damage. If you have always been a sun-worshipper, your hair is probably paying for it now. Sun, heat, humidity and styling tools all take their toll on your hair, leaving it dry and damaged over time. Reverse some of the brittleness and frizz and protect your hair against future damage with a product like Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Restructuring Bond Repair Leave-In Heat Protection Spray.
Be sure to check out the full line of aging-friendly hair care products available on our website. We guarantee that all beauty lines offered are 100% authentic, never from a third-party, and are items that our beauty team uses on our own hair and skin. Plus, Pandora Beauty offers some of the best prices available on all your favorite salon-quality products.