For some of us, it might seem pointless to spend precious time styling our hair in the summer. It often seems like the moment you step outside, the hair you spent 20 minutes straightening or the shiny curls you spent a half an hour getting just so puffs up into a giant, frizzy mess. It’s annoying, frustrating, and more often than not you’ll end up pulling your hair, which looked great before you headed out of the house, back into a ponytail or up into a top knot. This becomes your signature summer ‘do – after all, why bother styling when the summer humidity is just going to wreak havoc on your hair?
Why Does Humidity Make Hair Frizzy?
The reason humidity and frizzy hair go hand in hand? It could be genetics are to blame, or perhaps you’re not using the right kind of products. However, science also plays a large role. When it’s humid outside, this means high levels of hydrogen are present in the air, and the chemical structure of your hair is highly sensitive to this airborne hydrogen. Hair is porous, so it easily absorbs extra moisture in the air. As your hair absorbs this moisture, a single strand will form more hydrogen bonds between the long strands of keratin it is comprised of, which will swell and basically disrupt the cuticle – the smooth, most outer layer of your hair. The end result? A full head of frizzy hair, lots of frustration and wasted time styling.
5 Ways to Combat Frizzy Hair This Summer
Don’t despair! There are a few things you can do to help prevent your style from getting ruined by humidity for the next few months. Here are five frizzy hair solutions that will keep your locks shiny and sleek this summer:
- Invest in the right shampoo and conditioner. Choose a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner that are packed with glycerin. Sulfates dehydrate your locks, and glycerin can help get rid of frizz because it hydrates from the inside-out. Eufora’s Nourish Shampoo and Conditioner are exactly what you need this summer, as they are sulfate-free and provide extra moisturizing benefits.
- Let your hair air dry before blow-drying. Allow you hair to dry almost all the way before you hit it with the blow dryer, especially if you have straight or slightly wavy hair. Too much heat concentrated on your tresses will dehydrate it and make it frizzy faster.
- Use a leave-in keratin treatment. Your hair might need a little extra love throughout the summer, and that’s where a leave-in treatment comes in. Expert hairstylists highly recommend fighting frizz by pre-treating your hair before styling with a product like Eufora’s Fortifi Keratin Repair or It’s a 10 Miracle Leave-In with Keratin.
- Try a weekly hydrating mask. Looking for a way to ensure your hair stays soft and smooth in the humidity? Hydrating masks are especially helpful for dry, brittle, chemically-damaged hair. Try It’s a 10’s Miracle Hair Mask (which can actually even be used as a daily conditioner) or Phyto Phytokeratine Extreme Exceptional Mask.
- Complete with oil. Finally, before you’ve got your hair styled to perfection, work a lightweight oil like Eufora’s Smooth’n Oil Therapy to nourish and enrich the cuticles. This will help seal in moisture, add maximum shine and leave your hair feeling silky smooth with no extra weight.
Prevent humidity from ruining your day with the tips above for a more enjoyable summer! Pandora Beauty has so many options in our beauty supply store online to protect, smooth and beautify your locks any time of the year. Whether you’re looking for Eufora hair products, It’s a 10 or any other high-quality line, we guarantee you’ll be highly satisfied with our quality products, fast shipping and exceptional customer service.