We all have those lazy days sometimes, when putting effort into washing, drying and styling your hair just isn’t going to happen. And this is fine; even hair experts agree that washing your hair every single day isn’t actually doing your hair any favors. However, what do you do when sudden plans pop up for the evening, and you’ve been sitting on your couch reveling in your greasy hair glory all day?
5 Reasons to Not Wash Your Hair Everyday
First of all, let’s talk about why you shouldn’t be concerned about washing your hair every day of the week. Of course, everyone is different, and how often your BFF washes her hair (or how NOT often, that is) may not work out so well for you. Regardless, there are a few too great reasons to avoid reaching for your shampoo and conditioner every time you shower, including:
- Shampoo can strip your hair of the essential oils it needs to stay healthy and grow longer.
- Washing your hair daily fades your color.
- You might notice your ends are splitting faster in between haircuts.
- You can save some money on those expensive shampoos and conditioners.
- Your hair can be easier to style on those non-clean hair days.
Dirty Hair? Don’t Care! Quick Styling Ideas
Hair stylists say that not washing your hair every day will not only save you a lot of precious time in the morning, but because shampoo strips hair of its natural oils, your hair will actually produce more sebum than it needs. It might take a while for your hair to get used to not being squeaky clean every day, but start by skipping one day and gradually increase the time between washes. Your hair will adjust in just a few weeks and become less greasy and easier to manage – we promise!
Not sure how to style your hair on those dirty days? We have a few suggestions for you!
- Go for a tousled look. Reach for your trusty can of dry shampoo, spray your roots, and hit a few sections with your curling iron to create some beachy, messy waves. Embrace the bedhead! Don’t go for perfection here- the messier the better. Dry shampoo is available everywhere, from beauty supply stores to discount beauty websites.
- Hide greasy roots with a stylish headscarf. When in doubt, hide your dirty hair! Grab a pretty silk scarf, twist, and wrap it around the crown of your head, tying it either on top or underneath your hair. Your greasy roots will be instantly camouflaged by a pretty pattern.
- A messy low bun or topknot is always the answer. If you don’t want to wear your dirty hair down, and don’t want to spend a whole lot of time with any products, pull your hair back to the nape of your neck for a low bun or gather it to the top of your head for a messy topknot. So simple, and you’ll be out the door in seconds.
- Slick it back into a sleek ponytail. Like a bun or topknot, pulling your hair back into a sleek ponytail is another simple way to hide your dirty hair. With your hair out of your face, no one will ever even know you skipped the shampoo that day.
- Switch up your part. Part your hair in the middle? Try switching it to a deep side part. This will provide instant volume and hide the fact that you haven’t washed your hair in two or more days.
Find all the products you need for those dirty hair days at our online beauty store! We offer a variety of the best dry shampoos and styling products to ensure you’re always looking your best, no matter how long it’s been since you washed your locks.