There’s nothing like stepping out of the salon with a fresh new cut and color to make you feel like a million bucks. If only that feeling could last. Alas, it usually doesn’t, as soon your once-rich color starts to look dull and then your roots begin to show. Salon appointments are expensive and time-consuming. Wouldn’t it be great to be able to extend the life of your professional color? There actually are some things you can do (and avoid) in order to prolong the life of your hair color between treatments.
Simple Hacks to Maintain Your Hair Color
Some do’s and don’ts when it comes to getting your gorgeous, rich hair color to last:
- Keep hair moisturized. Dry hair becomes dull hair and won’t retain color as well. This is especially important if you have colored your white or gray hair, which tends to be drier, or if you have bleached hair, which also dries out the hair shaft. We recommend a regular (every 7-10 days) deep conditioning treatment like Nexxus Phyto Organics Chromalife Colour Lock Masque, which is specially formulated to hydrate and extend the life of your hair color by protecting it from the elements.
- Shampoo less frequently. Particularly right before and after getting your hair colored. The natural oils in your hair actually help the dye cling to your strands, so skip the shampoo the day before your coloring treatment. The less frequently you shampoo your hair after coloring, the longer you can keep that color. If you tend to have oily hair and are used to washing daily, consider cutting back to every other day and using a product like ColorProof Dry Spell Color Protect Dry Shampoo on the off days.
- Use color-safe products! This should go without saying, but make sure that the shampoos, conditioners and styling products you are using are not going to damage or strip your color. Pureology’s Fulfyll Shampoo and Conditioner use a ZeroSulfate formula and an exclusive AntiFadeComplex to clean and hydrate your hair while protecting your color. ColorProof also makes an entire line of cleansers and styling products specifically with colored hair in mind.
- Use a temporary color treatment. Eufora Beautifying Elixers Color Revive Concentrate is a great between-salon-visits treatment to pump up color that has gotten a bit dull and lackluster.
- Touch up your roots. The roots are the trickiest area when it comes to maintaining your color, because they are always going to grow back as your natural color, which can be radically different than your chosen shade. A little root coloring powder like Eufora Conceal Root Touch-Up can do wonders to minimize the look of off-color roots.
Be sure to check out the full line of hair care products available on our website. We guarantee that all beauty lines offered are 100% authentic, never from a third-party, and are items that our beauty team uses on our own hair and skin. Plus, Pandora Beauty offers some of the best prices available on all your favorite salon-quality products.