Cold weather can be pretty rough on your hair. The dry air, the wind, the dreaded hat hair. Give your locks a little extra TLC this season to prevent drying and damage that you will be dealing with the whole rest of the year. Follow our simple winter hair hacks below and your tresses will thank you!
The Do’s and Don’ts of Winter Hair Care
Follow these rules to ensure that your hair doesn’t turn into a winter nightmare!
First the DON’TS:
- DON’T use heat styling tools. If you can avoid curling irons and blow dryers, do so. If you must blow dry your hair, use a cool setting.
- DON’T ever, ever, ever leave the house on a cold day with wet hair! The cold air can freeze your delicate strands and cause serious cracking and breakage.
- DON’T wash your hair every day. If you feel that your hair gets too flat and oily if you don’t wash daily, try using a dry shampoo like Matrix Design Clean Remix Instant Dry Shampoo.
- DON’T pull your hair back into severe hairstyles like tight ponytails, especially if your hair is wet!
- DON’T wear wool hats and scarves, which actually cause hair breakage and static. Use a silk scarf instead of a knitted hat, which will protect your hair from frizz and static. You can also sleep on a silk pillowcase.
- DON’T attempt to do any major hair lightening. Bleaching products are very drying. Consider going a shade or two darker for the season instead.
And now the DO’S:
- DO use a scalp treatment to get rid of flakiness and keep your scalp healthy. A great one is Moroccanoil Dry Scalp Treatment which uses argan oil and lavender and geranium essential oils to nourish and soothe the skin. Salicylic acid gently exfoliates to help reduce flakiness.
- DO combat static by gently gliding a dryer sheet over your hair from root to tip.
- DO use a weekly hair mask for deep conditioning. We recommend Phyto PhytoSpecific Rich Hydration Mask.
- DO stay hydrated. Dehydration takes its toll on your hair as well as the rest of your body.
- DO switch to a natural boar bristle brush, which is gentler on your hair. Marilyn makes a series of excellent New Yorker boar bristle brushes in three different sizes.
- DO consider switching to an anti-dandruff shampoo of you are suffering from winter flakiness. Matrix Biolage Scalpsync uses the natural calming properties of mint leaf to soothe dry, itchy scalps.
- DO consider adding a mineral supplement to your diet, like Phyto Phytophanere which offers a daily dose of nourishing vitamins, essential fatty acids and antioxidants to fortify hair and nails.
Be sure to check out the full line of hair care products and tools available on our website. We guarantee that all beauty lines offered are 100% authentic, never from a third-party, and are items that our beauty team uses on our own hair and skin. Plus, Pandora Beauty offers some of the best prices available on all your favorite salon-quality products.