Any artisan who crafts with their hands will tell you that having the right tools makes all the difference in creating a quality product and making any job easier. The same principle applies to hair styling. The tools you use can make or break your look. And if you have been trying to achieve the perfect blowout hairstyle like they do in the salon but just haven’t quite been able to get it right, it could be your technique, plus the tools and styling products that you’re using.
Gathering Your Blowout Gear
Before we discuss your at-home blowout technique and offer some blowout tips, first let’s make sure you have the tools and styling products you’ll need:
- Easy-to-grip hair dryer with tapered head and cool setting. Try the Turbo Power TwinTurbo 2800 Coldmatic with four heat settings, a cold setting and two different speed settings. It is a high-quality hair dryer that’s built to last.
- Round brush. The size brush you will need depends on the length of your hair. The longer your hair, the larger the brush diameter should be. The Creative Wood Boar & Nylon Round Brush comes in four different sizes from 1.5” to 3”. The nylon bristles detangle while the boar bristles stimulate the scalp's natural emollients for extra shine. Plus, the natural wood handle won’t overheat and damage your hair.
- Heat Protectant. Never blow dry your hair without using a heat protecting product first! Your hair will thank you. We recommend Phyto Phytokeratine Repairing Thermal Protectant Spray. It will safeguard your hair from the damaging effects of heat styling, plus rebuild hair internally and externally.
- Spray bottle filled with water. If your hair dries quickly, you may need to re-wet some sections.
- Flexible setting spray. A great one is Obliphica Seaberry Quick Dry Volume Spray. This fast-drying formula will lock in all that body without weighing your hair down.
How to Perform a Professional-looking Blowout at Home
- Wash your hair and towel dry, being careful not to tousle and thereby introduce frizz.
- Apply heat protectant spray.
- On a medium setting (unless your hair is really thick, in which case, use a higher setting), rough dry your hair, meaning just blow dry hair as a whole until it’s about 75% dry.
- Take a one or two-inch section of hair and begin drying with round brush. For extra volume, blow dry hair upwards. Point dryer down the hair shaft and keep it a few inches away from the hair to smooth hair and make it sleek and shiny. Take your time! When dry, blast each section with cool air to set. Move on to next section.
- If you get to a section of hair and it has already dried naturally before you have had a chance to blow dry it, spritz it down with a little water before you start.
- Finish with flexible setting spray.
- Admire yourself in the mirror. Your hair looks effortlessly gorgeous!
Be sure to check out the full line of Phyto hair care products and styling tools available on our website. We guarantee that all beauty lines offered are 100% authentic, never from a third-party, and are items that our beauty team uses on our own hair and skin. Plus, Pandora Beauty offers some of the best prices available on all your favorite salon-quality products.