American actress-turned-English-duchess Meghan Markle has made the messy bun more trendy than ever. It’s that perfect blend of classic and casual that makes it such a hot look right now. But if you’re ever tried to pull off a slightly undone look like a messy updo, you may have discovered that although the hairstyle may look easy, it actually can be a bit trickier than you might expect. (That is, if you don’t want to end up looking more homeless than hotness!) Never fear, we have a few simple tips to ensure that your messy bun looks effortlessly chic every time.
Sculpting the Perfect Messy Bun
You can place your bun low or high, depending on your taste and desire. Just follow these easy steps:
- You may be surprised to know that a messy bun works best on slightly dirty, unwashed hair. So if you’re feeling a little lazy or running too late one morning to wash your hair, the messy bun can be a great style when you’re in a hurry or hit that snooze button one too many times! (If you feel like your hair really needs daily washing, but would still like to try this look, you can keep your hair clean between washes with a dry shampoo like Eufora Style Fresh Effect Dry Shampoo.)
- Before starting to style your bun, and especially if your hair is recently washed, spray it with a bit of texturizing spray like Lanza Healing Style Dry Texture Spray. This will make the rest of the styling easier by giving your hair more “grip,” and your bun will hold up better throughout the day.
- Lean over so that your head is upside-down and use your fingers to gather the hair to a spot as high or low on the head as you want it. Don’t worry about combing it smooth, the lumpiness is what makes it a messy bun.
- Holding the base of the ponytail with one hand, twist your hair into a coil with the other, and then wind it around the base of the pony like a big cinnamon roll, leaving the tail end free.
- Stretch a hair elastic over the bun and around the base and use bobby pins to secure. Leave some of the end pieces sticking out or tuck them in as desired. Tug on the sections of hair framing your face to create a fuller, looser look.
- Finish with a lightweight hairspray like L’anza Keratin Healing Oil Cream Gel Hair Spray to set your hair without weighing it down or causing the strands to clump together.
That’s it! You’ve mastered the perfect messy updo!
Be sure to check out the full line of hair care products available on our website. We guarantee that all beauty lines offered are 100% authentic, never from a third-party, and are items that our beauty team uses on our own hair and skin. Plus, Pandora Beauty offers some of the best prices available on all your favorite salon-quality products.