Winter is here, and that means holiday parties, snow-covered trees, outdoor activities like skiing and skating, and indoor fun by a cozy, cracking fire. But for many of us, winter also brings with it dry, chapped skin. Less humidity in the air and dry heat from the furnace all take their toll, leaving even ordinarily oily skin brittle and cracked.
How to Fight Back Against Skin Dryness in Winter
If you are still using the same skin care routine that you used in summer, it’s time to consider changing it up to cater to your skin’s need for more moisture this time of year. Some changes and products you may want to incorporate into your winter skin care:
- Switch to more gentle skin cleansers. If you have oily skin and are used to using astringents and strong cleansers, these may be too harsh during the colder months. Ahava’s All-in-One Toning Cleanser is a great alternative to clean your face while hydrating at the same time.
- Exfoliate, but not by scrubbing and buffing. It is a great idea to exfoliate during the winter to rid yourself of the dead skin cells that build up over time. However, scrubbing loofahs and cleansers with buffing granules can be too damaging on your delicate skin this time of year. Consider using a product like Strivectin’s Instant Revitalizing Maskwith Alpha Hydroxy Acids to renew and brighten your skin gently.
- Switch to a heavier face cream. If you don’t like the feel of heavy cream during the day, you can use it to heal and soothe skin that is chapped and dry by wearing it overnight. We recommend bareMinerals Skinsorials Butter Drench Restorative Rich Cream. The shea butter will leave your skin feeling like silk!
- Get a really good lip balm. In winter, your sensitive lips can suffer more than the rest of the skin on your body, becoming quite chapped and raw. This is when plain old lip gloss just doesn’t cut it. We recommend Dermalogica’s Climate Control Lip Treatment, specially formulated for protection from the outdoor elements and intensely healing.
- Apply a good body lotion daily. If you don’t use a body lotion regularly, winter is the time to start, or else plan to suffer with dry, itching skin. Regardless of your skin type, an excellent all-around body lotion is Qtica Intense Total Hydrating Therapy Lotion for soothing and long-lasting hydration.
- Switch from foundation to tinted moisturizer. Your face needs sun protection as much if not more in cold weather than in warm, because winter skin is already delicate and the bright rays bouncing off white snow can be quite intense and damaging. But slathering on moisturizer, sunscreen and foundation can be too heavy and cause your makeup to look caked on. Try switching to a tinted moisturizer like bareMinerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream for moisturizing, a broad-spectrum SPF and color coverage all in one lightweight layer.
Be sure to check out the full array of brand name, hydrating skin care products available on our website. We guarantee that all beauty lines offered are 100% authentic, never from a third-party, and are items that our beauty team uses on our own hair and skin. Plus, Pandora Beauty offers some of the best prices available on all your favorite salon-quality products.